Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Some things and all things


Some things can’t be explained

Scott used to love bathing. Then, for three months, he screamed uncontrollably all through bath time. Then he turned one, and that same week he just started totally loving his bath again. Overnight. Just like that. I’ll never know why. It’s not a big deal. It just makes me wonder.

‘The LORD our God has secrets known to no one. We are not accountable for them, but we and our children are accountable forever for all that he has revealed to us, so that we may obey all the terms of these instructions.’ – Deuteronomy 29:29

Some things can be explained

Scott stands at the toilet, hand poised at the flusher. He stares me down. Flirtatious, charming, impish.
‘No!’ I say firmly. ‘Don’t flush!’
He doesn’t flinch, doesn’t blink, holds my stare with a smile. His hand inches closer… He flushes.
Human nature.
Sin.
Explicable.

‘Even from birth the wicked go astray; from the womb they are wayward…’ – Psalm 58:3

Some things are hilarious

Cam, ever the optimist with high expectations, is trying to teach Scott to talk. He ran up to him this morning and asked exuberantly, ‘Scott, can you say pedestrian?’

Last week he asked me for clarification on the difference between conversation, competition and combination. Then he asked me if I would be enjoying a conversation over dinner… Gosh. Alrighty then.


'You have taught children and infants to tell of your strength, silencing your enemies and all who oppose you.' - Psalm 8:2

Some things worry me

Like being back at the emergency rooms this morning at 4:00am. Scott has had back-to-back ear infections. I think his immune system is striking. And yet he’s such a hardcore little man – beguiles the nursing sisters and smiles through the agony and the nasty tasting muti. Mommy’s little champion.

‘Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy! I look to you for protection. I will hide beneath the shadow of your wings until the danger passes by.’ – Psalm 57:1

All things are summed up in Christ

‘…and through him God reconciled everything to himself.’ – Colossians 1:20

No comments:

Post a Comment