Sunday, September 18, 2011

Scott’s first birthday letter


My Scott,

On Tuesday, 20 September, you will be a whole year old!

I like to write letters to mark events that carry weight in my heart, and your first birthday is most definitely one of those heavy, happy things.

I’ve just gone back a year in my journal to see what I was writing about, and what I was reading, around the time of your birth. A few days before you arrive I describe how excited, exhausted, hope-filled and uncomfortable I am… Then there’s the account of the day of your birth… Then I skip to Wednesday 22 September 2010 – you’re two days old. All I’ve written is:

‘What a wonder.’

There are big gaps in my journal in that period. Actually, there have been big gaps in my journal ever since. Early mornings with God, a pen and my moleskin are rare treasures these days, but I’m not complaining, because I know he is still with me in the very early mornings when you are wide awake and my moleskin lies closed with pages un-inked.J

When I think of you, and this first year of your life, one word keeps coming to mind:

Luminous.

From the moment you opened your eyes in that delivery room, you were luminous, and the incandescence that shimmers on your little self seems only to gleam more brightly as you grow. When Dad looks at you, he’s luminous, too, and I’m so grateful for that. I’ve said it before and I’ll probably say it often to you, but your gentle, cheerful, chortling disposition has brought me healing that I actually can’t describe. If another good thing never happens to me for as long as I live – well, I guess that would actually suck – but really, I’d be ok with it, because you were the outpouring that overflowed an already full-to-the-brim life.

You are a glowing gift to your big brother, too, and he adores you. (Today, Dad found you yelling in frustration at the bottom of the stairs. Cam had you in his vice-like clutches, heroically preventing you from climbing the stairs – which you love doing – because he knew you would be in danger of falling down. You should probably thank him. J)

Your health hasn’t been great over the past two months or so, and we have really been praying for you. But the ups and downs of viruses and new teeth haven’t thwarted your resolve. If I take my eyes off you for a second, you invariably unpack a bookshelf, lick Lola or eat something dodgy. I think you desperately want to walk, and every now and then you take a tentative, collapsing kind of step.

My baby who is nearly not a baby: thank you for the radiance you have stirred into our lives, and for the deep things you have stirred in our hearts.

Two verses Dad and I want to share with you as you turn 1:

‘But as for me, I know that my Redeemer lives…’ – Job 19:25

‘…be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord you God is with you wherever you go.’ – Joshua 1:9

All my love,

Mom

xx




No comments:

Post a Comment