Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Of hexagons, laughter and muddy dogs

Thinking about where I’ve seen God’s glory over the past few days...:

The day before I went back to school, Cam was playing with some wooden sticks in the lounge, making triangles. Murray said to him, ‘Why don’t you try and make a square, my boy?’ To which Cam replied, with only a hint of voor-op-die-wa, ‘No Daddy. I’d rather make a hexagon.’ Moments like that jolt me into remembering that he could see nothing at all when he was born. And now he’s building hexagons on the carpet. To God be the glory, great things He has done.

Another pre-going-back-to-work, God-glorifying gift was that Scott laughed for the first time! So awesome! J

Over the weekend I planted some herbs and veggies on our kitchen deck. I didn’t even have to water after planting, because just as I was finishing off it started to rain. God’s glory! Scotty was watching me in his ‘bumbo’ and just blinked placidly through the drops, unperturbed. God whispering life into seeds and bringing little green living things up to the air gives me such hope.

Sadly, however, Lola had dug up the whole thing, about 45 minutes after my enchanting planting session, and I had to start from scratch... But maybe God was just using her to churn up the soil and settle the seeds? Time will tell. She wagged sheepishly, unquestionably aware off her offence, and rubbed her muddy nose on my pants. With difficulty I tried to ‘give thanks in everything’ (1 Thes. 5:18) and trust that God would work it out for good...!

Cam’s made-up word for today was ‘badoopie’ – something he decided they would eat for breakfast at school, with milk and sugar. He told Constance as soon as we got to school, and she played along beautifully. He then told me quite calmly, ‘I’m not going to cry today.’ (Yesterday was heart-ripping stuff; he clung to me and sobbed when I dropped him off – then proceeded to have a marvellous day.)
 (Cam drumming on the kitchen bin... as one does...)


No comments:

Post a Comment