Saturday, March 19, 2011

Bits and pieces from a week in March






Brothers

I took the boys to St Alban’s this morning to bid farewell to one of the Form 3 Journey groups. They head off into the bush for a 23-day, 500km, bike-riding, trail-hiking, river-rafting, body-pounding, mind-bending, soul-searching, life-changing adventure – a real rite of passage. I so hope our two little ones will have the chance to do it one day. It also made me grateful that Cam and Scott will be a part of one another’s boys-to-men journeys.


Six months!

Scott will be half a year old tomorrow. I marvel at the miracle of him. I keep thinking that he can’t possibly get cuter or more beautiful… but he does! He looks so like Murray J He contentedly sits and plays on his own, grabbing hold of anything and everything (and sucking it…). He is also amazingly calm in the face of Cam’s wild brotherly gestures, like pulling Scott out of his pram, or jumping on top of him to ‘show love’! Despite currently suffering from his first middle ear infection, he still smiles ecstatically – with his whole body! – at absolutely everybody. Daily, I get tears in my eyes just looking at him.



Above: Cam’s latest is dressing up in our clothes…

Say no to germs

At Pick ‘n Pay last week, Cam and I had to take a trip to the (public) loos. I taught him all about germs and toilet seats. At home the other morning, Murray found him padding our toilet seat with reams of toilet paper. When asked what he was doing, Cam replied, ‘We don’t know everyone’s germs!’

Tantrums and apologies

Cam has been throwing some first class tantrums this week. Exasperated, I admonished him severely with, ‘Now just pull yourself together!’ He retorted indignantly, ‘But myself is together!’

He is, at least, fairly quick to apologise after an outburst, and to remind you of the naughty things he didn’t do…

My little Jamie Oliver

This week Cam told me he wanted ‘rosemary and rocket’ for supper, and that he can make roast beef in the slow cooker. He also reckons that tuna mayonnaise and cappuccinos taste ‘quite similar’… Hmmm…?

Goodbye tonsils

Cam goes in for a tonsillectomy on Tuesday morning. Prayers would be most appreciated! We are dreading the post-op wailing and agony, but all the docs we’ve consulted agree that it really is time to get rid of the things… Here’s hoping for a future filled with more sleep and fewer antibiotics.

Realisations

Sometimes I’ll be in the middle of something quite arbitrary, like chopping a tomato, or marking an essay, and I’ll be struck by the sobering realisation that I’m a grown-up. Not sure how it happened. It’s terrifying. And astonishing. And, strangely, quite wonderful. (I’m also glad that the rest of the time, I just feel like me.) Sometimes, when I’ve got an armful of wriggling, giggling boys on my lap, or I’m mopping up vomit, or smearing sun cream on smooth little cheeks, it also dawns on me in a very pinch-myself-to-check-this-is-real kind of way that I have two sons. Freaky. Unbelievably cool. So, so marvellous.

‘God's love is meteoric,
His loyalty astronomic, His purpose titanic,
His verdicts oceanic.
Yet in His largeness nothing gets lost; not a man,
not a mouse slips through the cracks.
How exquisite your love, O God!’ – Psalm 35:5-7 (Message)

No comments:

Post a Comment