Thursday, March 31, 2011

How great thou art





Cam went to the ENT yesterday for a check-up; the tonsil situation is looking good. And his personality is slowly re-emerging… He was cheerfully eating his supper last night and I remarked that it was only one week until his birthday. He stopped, fork suspended, and burst into real, lip-quivering, inconsolable tears, crying, ‘I’m much too sick to have my birthday!’ I reassured him that another week would surely be long enough to recover completely.

Most happily I can report that Scott is again sleeping deeply, peacefully and right through the night, maybe because he is voraciously eating three meals a day, with snacks in between… The pics are of Scott discovering the world of grand pianos and heavy duty vehicles. J

Lately, I’ve caught Cam singing snatches of ‘How great thou art’. Bizarre – we hardly sing it at church, and it’s not on any of his CDs, but I used to sing it to him almost every day when he was a baby, particularly around the time of his cataract surgery and a few months after that. It was my grandfather’s favourite hymn, and we’ve sung it at family weddings and funerals for as long as I can remember. When I was settling Scott in his cot last night Cam came to sit on my lap. I sang ‘How great thou art’ and he joined in for the bits he knew. I went on to ‘Great is thy faithfulness’ and ‘All the way my Saviour leads me’. It made him go still and whispery, and it seemed to me that God’s big, holy, universe-filling presence was very real – right there in a little giraffe-decorated bedroom in a little house on a little hill in a suburb of a city on the southern bit of a continent…

‘He is the God who made the world and everything in it. Since he is Lord of heaven and earth, he doesn't live in man-made temples, and human hands can't serve his needs—for he has no needs. He himself gives life and breath to everything, and he satisfies every need. From one man he created all the nations throughout the whole earth. He decided beforehand when they should rise and fall, and he determined their boundaries. His purpose was for the nations to seek after God and perhaps feel their way toward him and find him—though he is not far from any one of us. For in him we live and move and exist.’ – Acts 17:24-28

No comments:

Post a Comment