Saturday, January 5, 2013

Of vampire frogs and fists in dough


Me, Scott and a rubber frog

Realisation dawns slowly with the half-light. There’s a presence by the bed. I convince an eye to open. He’s staring three centimetres from my face. 5h50. He’s been up for an hour already – quiet in just a nappy – playing, paging, prattling… He’s soft, polite: ‘Pees mom come me pay room?’ (= Please Mom come with me to the playroom?) I drag myself vertical. He trots ahead brisk and chuffed. I flop on the playroom couch. Sleep.

Alas.

I am brutally assaulted by a reptile.

Scott – with 911-terror – holding the frog to my neck: ‘Mom! Frog biting you!’

Me, feigning half-asleep shock and horror: ‘Oh no. Naughty frog. Don’t bite me.’

Scott removes imaginary frog fangs from their perilous position. Admonishes the guilty amphibian in severe tones: ‘No frog! Smacky frog! Don’t bite Mom!’ (Aggressive tapping on the frog’s rear parts.)

Frog crisis successively created and averted, I snooze relieved and he snuggles me and his (mini) Mini Cooper.


Me, Cam and a bowl of dough

Early evening sun comes still-hot through the kitchen door and we’re baking rusks, me and Cam. He’s on the counter with greased loaf tins and egg shells and spilt buttermilk. We’re hunched elbow-deep in dough, four fists loving the sugary-buttery raw deliciousness ‘til it all comes away from the sides the way my Mom showed me when I was little.

Me: ‘What was your favourite part of today?’

Cam: ‘Now.’


‘For in him we live and move and exist.’ – Acts 17:28



 Cam's new magnifier - a whole new world :)
Teacher Karen visiting before school starts next week - and Cam in his brand new Jacob's Ladder t-shirt!






No comments:

Post a Comment