Saturday, December 1, 2012

A good Friday full of broken things and goodbyes


The day starts with the sacred caffeinated ritual of the two enormous mugs. But the orange one with cows on it has one of those thin lines on the inside. Which means it’ll crack pretty soon and I will have to go to Clicks and get two new sacred enormous mugs because maybe it’s not about the bike but for me it is totally about the mug.

Teeth brushed juice bottles packed ‘bye Dad!’ seatbelts clicked reverse. The lawns in our street are green mowed geometry and there’s recycling on the driveways and the world seems so fixed. Except that last week there was a gunshot in a room behind walls a stone’s throw from our jungle gym because a neighbour just couldn’t do life anymore. And I think, behind serene suburban doors everyone has coffee-mug cracks.

It is Cam’s last day at Heavenly Tots. I ask him what he’ll miss the most: Teacher Hendriette and the hotdogs. The front seat of my car balances a bright pile of teachery presents and the traffic gets blurry because we’re sliding the bookmark out of this four-year chapter of Maltabella porridge and painting and playing. It’s been a weighty chunk of Cam’s miraculous so-far-so-good story.

I get to St Alban’s with much less mascara. And then even less because there’s another letter from a College boy I’ve loved. I have redone my report comments, which were eaten by the system. I’ve transferred my life from old laptop to new. There’s seven years of stuff stored now on a hard drive hidden in my – well I guess I shouldn’t say where it’s hidden – and I think about how much of my hope is in devices with screens and the confidence that surely our house – or wherever the hard drive is hidden – won’t burn down but how if it does I’m kind of screwed in terms of tangible memories.

Yesterday I started packing up my corner of the English office. I blew dust off the good times and tried to shove my sadness into the plastic sleeves of past papers. Next year tugs hard at my sleeve. The changes are rolling in fast and frightening like the thrill of a summer storm.

Our last exam comes in. We’re marking like zombies and decide to carry on tomorrow. So I fetch the boys from Nanna and we’re home at last. It’s hot and it’s Friday and I’m too tired to be responsible so I agree to Scott’s ecstatic request for Monsters, Inc.

I get dressed for my last carol service at the St Alban’s Cathedral. Murray gets home to take over supper-bath-Bible-pillow-fighting. I drive with John, Bruce and Yol and I think how much I’ll miss these people. The cathedral hums and swelters with incense and staff in academic gowns and peace-on-earth parents and boys exam-free and expectant. I sit with the Kean and Kim and the nine lessons begin punctuated by the choir and the carols that build and swell and it’s all rather glorious. We get to O come all ye faithful and I think of my Gran and I’m homesick for the Christmases of my childhood. I glance around to take it all in and lose the war on my mascara for good.

It’s been a wonderful day, really. I’m grateful that God is the great Fixer of broken things. I’m grateful for God in my past bringing life in the now from seeds planted then. I’m grateful for God in my future holding steady.

‘Where is another God like you?’ – Micah 7:18

 Cam completes his first 24-piece puzzle with Aunty Manty!
 Trying on ALL Mom's shoes... Eek.






 Connie, Cam, Hendriette and Baby
Last swimming lesson with Tannie Lette

No comments:

Post a Comment