Sunday, September 16, 2012

The turning tide of turning two


My baby,

This week you will be two.

I’m treasuring all the baby things about you even as they slip out with the tide of your infancy. Every nappy I change. Every wide-awake night because actually I love your patter down the passage with your green blankie and your back-to-back sleepy snuggling in our bed and your ‘Where’s Dad?’ when you realise he’s not in the bed anymore because your kicking has kept him awake and he has opted for the bunk bed and Eeyore (who doesn’t kick).

I treasure how you bury your face drowsy-quiet-shy in my neck because I am your safe place. I treasure how you exasperate me with your uncontrollable running-laughing-naughtiness because you are my wild freedom. I treasure how you wake up early like me and how you look at me with Dad’s eyes and how you laugh when Noddy gets knocked over by the skittles. I treasure how you hug Cammy after your sleep and how your brother-bond grows tighter every time you mimic his (questionable) table manners.

Standing on this wet metaphorical sand with less and less of your baby-ness washing over my feet I can hardly remember me before you. You’ve made me feel completely me because of how completely you are you.

You might be interested one day to know what this turning tide was washing up on the world’s shores, the week you turned two. America is two months away from a presidential election. The Pope is urging Arab leaders to work for peace in the Middle East. There’s violence on the mines around Rustenburg. Yesterday the Springboks lost to the All Blacks. Quite possibly the waves will be washing up the same stuff twenty years from now.

As for us:

This evening God made the most incredible sunset. It rained through late orange smudgy light. Then the rain stopped and the sun was dusky translucence through bright wet fresh air. We ate supper early and the candlelight matched the sky. You were grumpy because you wanted to bath but there was still pretty much perfect peace.

I’ve just started my last term at St Alban’s College and I’m up-and-down with happy-sad dreams and tears as I watch for the bright buds of a new season full of goodbyes.

Your strong brave Dad works too hard, loves you unimaginably, makes me laugh every day, feels things more deeply than most, and today finished waterproofing the roof.

Cam is the best big brother in the universe. Here are some things he asked me this week:

‘How do my words come out of my mouth in my voice?’
‘How does God make pepper?’
‘As a special treat, can I get Scott a set of jumper cables for his birthday?’
‘Can I make Scott a hot-bubblegum-and-peach pudding?’

He takes ages to finish his food because he doesn’t stop talking. The other night I said, ‘Not a word until you’ve had three more bites!’ A few silent bites later he yelled ecstatically, ‘A word!’ Then he added, ‘Actually I had four bites so now I can say lots of words!’

The tide will turn and keep turning and I don’t know what will wash up on your beaches and what will wash away. There’s so much I want to say – but there will be other birthdays. Tonight, my prayer for you, Scott Gideon Reyburn, my mighty hero, is that you will love Jesus with all your life. That you will be an arrow shot straight to claim Kingdom territory. That God will unwrap his plans for you and use you to touch countless lives. I pray that you would live the words of the song we sing in the car sometimes:

Dare to be a Daniel
Dare to stand alone
Dare to have a purpose firm
Dare to make it known.

All my love,

Mom

xx
 Stories and muffins with Lola and Heather (Aunty 'Nook)
Doctor Cam in his theatre garb. And his red galoshes.

No comments:

Post a Comment