Friday, November 25, 2011

Of airports, forgiveness and frenetic final weeks



God’s glory in gorgeous movie stars, international arrivals and Murray

I love Hugh Grant. Mostly because he’s lucky enough to look like my husband, but also because he makes me laugh and because he has a way of inspiring the world to fall in love over and over. The Richard Curtis film Love Actually (2003) starts off with a Hugh Grant voiceover. His character, David, says that when he gets depressed over the state of the world he thinks about Heathrow’s arrivals terminal, and the real, uncomplicated love shown as families and friends welcome their arriving loved ones. The film’s story is told in the crazy festive weeks leading up to Christmas (i.e. now).

I had a Love-Actually-frozen-forever moment on Sunday afternoon.

I was in Zimbabwe over the weekend, for a wedding, and I walked through the doors of international arrivals at OR Tambo at 17h00 on Sunday. In the middle of the massive, slick, bring-on-the-World-Cup arrivals arena there stands a gigantic Christmas tree festooned with enormous balls and twinkling lights. The place was teeming – kids, old folks, people alone, jumbles of family, bored people milling around with signs welcoming people they didn’t know. And there was Murray, Cameron and Scott. Murray told Cam I was through the doors and he ran, trusting and unquestioning, in my general direction long before he could see me. I ended up on my knees, smothered in hugs and wet kisses and filth from whatever Scott had been crawling through. I suspect we created quite a scene, but I really didn’t care. It was magical.

Needless to say, Murray and the boys had an absolute blast while I was gone, doing hardcore guy activities like making pizza, swimming at Granny, shopping for light bulbs and fixing stuff. An excellent husband, who can find? For his worth is far above jewels…! (Proverbs 31 – sort of) J

God’s glory in people who are kind and patient

I’ve also seen God’s glory in the amazing team of people that I work with at St Alban’s College. Schools are stressful places at this time of year, but daily I see my friends and colleagues forgoing their time and their egos to put others first or get the job done. I’ve seen what a forgiving generation of people I work with. I had both my boys tearing around the staffroom yesterday afternoon while I loaded exam marks et al. And yet it seemed they were a blessing to people, not a nuisance.

God’s glory in diverse cultures, fusion food and giving up an evening to bless people with kids

Murray and I celebrated our seventh wedding anniversary on Wednesday night (a couple weeks early, for want of another gap in the diary!) at a fantastic Moroccan restaurant that took us back to our newly wed backpacking days in Chefchaouen. Reynard and Samantha ate takeaways on our couch so that the boys could sleep in their own beds.

God’s glory in milestones and celebrations

Scotty claps when he sees dogs on the TV, or when Barney finishes a song. He also tries to stare me down and seduce me with his blue eyes and raised eyebrows while a hand is poised above an illegal object of his desire. This morning he pointed at the cow on my coffee mug and said something that was most certainly, ‘What’s this?’ And then he mooed.

It’s November and people are tired, and yet we seem to be hardwired to find shreds of energy and enthusiasm to mark the passing of another year and to celebrate the advent of Christmas and God’s unspeakable gift of life.

‘Hope springs eternal in the human breast. Man never is, but always to be blest.’ – Alexander Pope, Essay on Man, 1732







No comments:

Post a Comment