Friday, October 29, 2010

Quiddity






















Watching my two little men this week has reminded me of what Henry Miller said:

‘The aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware; joyously, drunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.’

C. S. Lewis called it ‘quiddity’: ‘familiar objects you see every day are actually great treasures. There is a wonder to the “thingness” of things...’

Like the fact that Scotty smiles so sweetly, and makes intriguing gurgling noises into my cheeks when we snuggle. He is insanely beautiful to me.

And Cam continues to come up with fantastic statements… His Nanna took him to her Boys’ High music room the other day, where a boy was practising his French horn. ‘That’s my vuvuzela!’ shouted Cam. Then they came across a poor soul going through his piece on the violin. ‘There’s a chain saw!’ shrieked Cam excitedly... He also announced loudly, for all to hear, in church on Sunday: 'I have snot in my nose!' When Murray gets home from work the two of them always play hide and seek – or ‘hiding and sneaking’, as Cam calls it :) (Parents of VI kids: this is excellent visual therapy, by the way, as it forces Cam to use his eyes, though he needs tip-offs from me to find his Dad!)

I took the boys to Struben Dam yesterday afternoon, and was quite overjoyed to discover again the tranquillity of the place, right on our bustling suburban doorstep. I took along Cam’s favourite tea-time treat – those tiny frosted doughnuts from Woolies. He is quite transported when he’s chewing on one of those – he totally gets the ‘quiddity’ of a doughnut, and not a crumb goes to waste. :)
'O Lord, our Lord, your majestic name fills the earth! Your glory is higher than the heavens. You have taught children and infants to tell of your strength, silencing your enemies and all who oppose you. When I look at the night sky and see the work of your fingers - the moon and the stars that you set in place - what are people that you should think about them, mere mortals that you should care for them?' - Psalm 8:1-4

No comments:

Post a Comment